October 14, 2012
I don’t know how widely the UniFi Access Points are known. So here are some short facts:
- Central management software which is written in Java and runs basically on any Linux, Windows and MacOS System and can be controlled via browser. At I must say it is a really nice GUI – at least compared to the Motorola one I used previously. 😉
- You only need to buy the Access Point and not also licenses for the management software.
- Various models which include following features: standard PoE, 802.1n, outdoor, 2,4 and 5Ghz, captive portal … The SOHO version for small deployments start at 70-80 Euro per piece, the pro version is at about 200 Euro.
- I’ve it running 2 installations, one with over 60 access points , so it also scales.
Anyway there is now a new software in beta, which the power users of this solution surely like. Its written in Python and is Open Source (modified BSD license). At the moment is does following:
- MAC addresses white list
- Poor signal reconnect (or Minimum RSSI)
- WLANs on/off schedule
- Periodically Reboot APs
And as it is Open Source and in a scripting language it should be easy adopted to your special wishes/needs.