Workaround for Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) problems with “.local” DNS addresses

October 18, 2008

I installed Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) Beta on one of my Workstations at work this week and I had really problems to get into the internet. Why? We have a PAC (proxy auto-config) script for our proxies and that PAC is reachable under http://pac.companyname.local (You put that into your Browser.). The problem with this setup is that somehow Kubuntu has problems resolving the .local DNS Zones. I did following as a workaround:

$ sudo vim /etc/nsswitch.conf

Replace:
hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

with:
hosts: files dns

I hope Google helps others to find this post fast, so they don’t need to search that long for a workaround.

1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Thank you, you saved my sanity! 🙂
    The problem remains in Kubuntu 9.04, and this post is the only helpful thing I found googling. Good work!

    Comment by vazub — October 12, 2009 #

Leave a comment

XHTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Powered by WordPress
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. 77 queries. 0.376 seconds.